ROBARE & JONES FINANCIAL ADVISORS ON THE MARKETS
Markets improve much of last week with the S&P setting record highs continuing into this week. The rise has come simultaneously with the decrease trading volume in GameStop (GME) and AMC Entertainment (AMC). Much of the good news from the markets came from Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) adding their newest vaccine to the market which is only one shot compared to the existing two shot step process.
Jumps in the market were lead by the energy sector with an increase of 8.3%, telecommunications increasing by 7.3%, and financials by 6.6%. The price of Crude Oil jumped too helping Exxon exceed anticipated earnings for the first time since 2019. Google (GOOG, Alphabet) was another benefactor this past week of good earnings reports and increasing their share price by over 14%.
Jobs reports reported mixed number with the entire labor force shrinking while adding 49,000 jobs and unemployment decreasing by .4%. We can draw a conclusion from this news that people are retiring sooner than originally anticipated, and some of the new jobs being adding haven't been as impactful as anticipated.
This upcoming week watch for earrings reports from to two DIJA companies in consumer entertainment and staples, Coca-Cola (KO) and The Walt Disney Company (DIS).
Let's take a look at the benchmarks from this past week!
Latest and Greatest BUZZZZ Words
In January, the Merriam Webster Dictionary added 520 words to its pages. The additions include new words that have found their way into common use, as well as expanded definitions for words that were already well-established. Here is a sampling of the new entries:
- Hygge: A cozy quality that makes a person feel content and comfortable
- Pod: A small group of people who interact closely while minimizing outside contact to avoid exposure to a contagious disease
- Hard pass: A firm refusal or rejection
- Cancel culture: The practice of engaging in mass canceling as a way of expressing disapproval and applying social pressure
- Crowdfunding: Obtaining needed funding by asking a large number of people, usually members of an online community, for contributions
- Gig worker: A person who works temporary jobs as an independent contractor or freelancer
- Second gentleman: The husband or male partner of a vice president or second in command of a country or jurisdiction
What are some of your favorite buzz words?